We have exciting news! On February 9, 2018, President Trump signed into law a package of tax extenders included in the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018. The package includes retroactive extensions for 179D energy efficient building deduction, and the 45L tax credit for residential and multi-family units. These extensions apply to properties and improvements placed-in-service between 12/31/2016 through 12/31/2017.
This means qualified homes and multi-family units that were sold or leased in 2017 are eligible for the $2000/home tax credit. No changes or adjustments have been made to the previous tax calculation procedure. Sadly, the credit was not extended through 2018, only 2017 at this time.
This extension means that we have a short window to perform certifications so eligible businesses can capture these benefits prior to filing the 2017 tax returns!
179D Energy Efficient Building Deduction is defined as:
- Any Commercial Property or 4+ Story Multi-Family Property
- Newly Constructed prior to December 31, 2017
- Or with retrofits to Lighting, HVAC, or Envelope components resulting in reduced energy consumption
- Eligible Properties Qualify for up to $1.80 per square foot
- OR $0.60 for lighting, $0.60 for HVAC, $0.60 for Envelope Retrofits
45L Residential Energy Efficient Housing Credit
- Single-Family or Multi-Family (Less than 3 Stories)
- $2,000 tax credit per dwelling unit
- New Construction or Major Renovation
If you have qualifying properties please contact Eco Achievers right away at firstname.lastname@example.org