Codes and Tax Credits
- Residential codes have accelerated the adoption of building science practices and performance testing. Learn what your state requires.
- The DSIRE database has the most comprehensive information on local, state, federal, and utility incentives and policies that support renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Create an online homeowner's manual for your clients or tenants.
- The Green Home Guide provides case studies and information on green home new construction and remodeling.
- Green Building Advisor is an online resource of case studies, product information and building science technical resources.
- The Energy & Environmental Building Alliance (EEBA) offers excellent builders guides that include detailed drawings through their online bookstore. We recommend builders and those interested in building science purchase the Cold-Climate Builders guide for the upper Midwest.
- The U.S. Green Building Council Illinois Chapter and Passive House Alliance of Chicago regularly host educational and networking events, tours and organize study groups for professionals seeking LEED AP specialty accreditation. They also work together to organize the annual GreenBuilt Home Tour.
- Building Science Tech’s Building Analyst Field Training Video: How to Perform a Home Energy Audit highlights the technical skills required for becoming a home energy auditor for professionals interested in BPI certification and taking the BPI field exams.
Green Building and Re-Use Stores
- ReBuilding Exchange is a non-profit in Chicago IL that accepts used building materials and re-sells them to the public. They host a number of DIY workshops for those wanting to creatively use salvaged building materials.
- Evolutionary Supply and Building Solutions is a retail store in Geneva, IL that provides supplies for everything needed to build to healthy zero energy levels of construction. It also features a green building design showroom. No designer or appointment needed!
Here are a few websites we find valuable: