Building Performance Testing
We own blower doors and we aren't afraid to use them! Eco Achievers can diagnose your
building's air leakage problems, which typically account for 40% of building energy loss. Stop guessing and find out where the issues really are.
What is a blower door test?
You spend a lot of time in your home and we think you should always be comfortable in it, no matter the time of year! The blower door is a machine we use in our energy check-ups and other building performance testing. The blower door helps to pinpoint air leakage in your building’s envelope (your walls, floors, attic, ) and your duct system.
The blower door is comprised of a calibrated fan that detects air movement, a mounting system to attach the fan to, and seal off, an exterior door, and a manometer that measures pressure in the building with respect to outside. While the blower door is running, we can use other tools such as Infrared Thermal Imaging and smoke puffers to pinpoint areas of wasted energy and heat flow.
Conducting the blower door test helps us quantify airflow through a building. This is similar to finding the hole in an inflatable pool raft. The blower door test helps us determine how big a hole might be in your building; ranging from… the size of a golf ball or smaller on a Passive House to the size of a football field! From there, we can measure heating and cooling wasted through that hole, and help figure out how to cost-effectively make you more comfortable.
Not sure what we mean? Here’s a video of Lindsey explaining the test in a Chicago January mid-construction project.
Our experts can provide your home or building project with a comprehensive home energy and health assessment, or energy audit. In about three or four hours, we can identify ways to improve your home's performance, assessing the quality of insulation, air leakage, duct leakage, the heating and cooling system, water heater, lighting, appliances, doors, and windows.
Our full Building Performance Diagnostic services include:
- Insulation Inspection
- Blower Door Test for Infiltration
- Duct Leakage Testing
- Infrared Analysis
- Air flow testing / HVAC commissioning
- Air Sealing / Air Barrier inspection
- Residential Energy Audit
Our Energy Checkup starts at $500 for an average single-family home. Please Contact us for an exact quote for your home or building project.
Commercial Building Performance Testing:
Our building performance testing includes a variety of standardized tests, including:
- One-Point Depressurization Test – A simple procedure to help you find and fix air leaks
- Multi-Point Depressurization Test – A rigorous test that conforms to the US Army Corps of Engineers air leakage standard
- ASTM E779 – Testing that determines air leakage rate by fan pressurization
- ASTM E1186 – An air leakage site detection in building envelopes and air barrier systems
- Multi-fan commercial building testing
- Passive Haus and PHIUS+ infiltration testing
- Guarded/Unguarded multifamily compartmentalization testing
- ETS Environmental Tobacco Smoke Control (LEED EQ2) compliance testing
Eco Achievers can perform all of these services for you, in addition to the energy modeling support needed to take advantage of Section 179D tax breaks for energy efficient buildings.
The bottom line is you receive a trusted third-party assessment to keep your home or next building project healthy and energy-efficient.